Scientists are constantly trying to develop a better form of calcium. Although the standard is calcium carbonate, other mild acids are often paired with this bone-building mineral. The newest is threonic acid, a metabolite formed in the body from ascorbic acid (vitamin C). Scientists claim threonic acid plus calcium has better test-tube absorption compared with other calcium forms.1 Researchers have shown that calcium threonate stimulates the biomineralization process in human gum tissue when combined with vitamin C in a culture dish.2 In a recent animal study, researchers found calcium threonate had better absorption than other forms.3
In additional studies, researchers describe calcium threonate's effect on animals with osteoporosis induced by removal of the ovaries or testes, and in children with rickets, a vitamin D-deficiency disease that rarely manifests in developed countries. To further validate the strength of this promising new form of calcium, we need adult studies showing both superior absorption (enough to offset the premium price) and superior effects on bone density and fracture risk.
Anthony Almada is a nutritional and exercise biochemist and has collaborated on more than 50 university-based clinical trials. He is the co-founder of EAS and founder and chief scientific officer of IMAGINutrition, based in Laguna Niguel, Calif.
1. Song JZ, et al. Determination of L-threonate in calcium L-threonate preparations by capillary electrophoresis with indirect UV detection. Electrophoresis 1999;20:1850-5.
2. Rowe DJ, et al. Enhanced production of mineralized nodules and collagenous proteins in vitro by calcium ascorbate supplemented with vitamin C metabolites. J Periodont 1999;70:992-9.
3. Yu K, et al. Use of calcium L-threonate in preventing, inhibiting and curing osteoporosis and rickets. United States patent 6077872.
1. a source from vitamin C, very suitable for Children, women and aged people
2. higher absorption, 100% water solubility
3. higher bio- availability with no deed of vitamin D
4. higher bone mineral density (BMD)
5. high efficient for bone & joint related benefits
A novel source of high efficient calcium for osteoporosis,rickets, vitamin D-deficiency
Don't put anything in the following field: